Saturday, May 15, 2010

Hello, Summer


     Every summer I take at least several trips to the Eastern Market in Detroit to buy fresh cut flowers and homemade pies. This year, I've decided to try to visit as many farmer's markets in the area as possible and started at the Oakland County market this morning. Now that it's spring I've been yearning to start a garden (although I always manage to kill everything within a few weeks) and plant strawberries, daisies and herbs. I was looking for fresh cut daisies this morning but I ended up leaving empty handed, although I made the resolution to look for herbs next weekend to try in a few recipes. 
     Buying fresh fruit and vegetables is one of the smartest things I've been learning to do - not only for my own heath but also for local growers. Wearing long dresses and buying flowers are some of my favorite memories of summer and I've been using Local Harvest to find all of the markets in my area. Make sure to arrive early and bring your camera!

No comments:

Post a Comment