Thursday, July 29, 2010

Book Review: High On Arrival

***** (5/5 stars)

     I just finished reading High on Arrival by Mackenzie Phillips. I'm sure a lot of people have already read it but I just now got around to it this week. I didn't know that much about Mackenzie Phillips prior to reading it, but I had seen her on Oprah and on So Weird on the Disney channel when I was younger. I couldn't put the book down - it is crazy that someone who had been through everything she has is still alive. It made me think that I should be thankful for my own life. There was a lot of press about her possibly making up the incest that occurred between her and her father, but after reading her book, I don't doubt her for a minute. Her story is absolutely shocking, and it's incredible that she has been able to turn her life around and have such a positive attitude, especially in terms of her father. She doesn't blame him and isn't even angry for what he did to her. Her relationship with her father is something that no one will ever truly understand besides her, but it was definitely insightful reading her story and looking into a life that was completely outrageous in comparison to my own.


"I am amazed to be alive, and I am wildly in love with this great life"
- Mackenzie Phillips

P.S. I'm off to New York today, so I won't be posting again until Monday. Have a lovely weekend!

1 comment:

  1. ooh! thanks for the suggestion! i need to get back into reading!!!

    allisterbee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete