Thursday, September 2, 2010

Happiness Project: Personal Commandments

     Happy Thursday! I'm all moved in at school, enjoying Ann Arbor, and still not looking forward to classes, hah. But I'm sure I'm not alone in that last one. I should be back to posting everyday now (!!!), so I'm just hoping that school doesn't interfere too much. Anyways, I've been thinking about The Happiness Project (as mentioned here) and I came up with ten things, or "commandments," that I feel are important to live by for my life:

1. Be Jill
2. Take it one day at a time - A lot of times I get really caught up in planning for the future and I end up forgetting to enjoy the present
3. Accept what I'm feeling - I recently took a yoga class, and the instructor made a comment about how it's easier to deal with problems in life if you feel your emotions while they're occurring, rather than trying to push them out of your mind or cling to them
4. Be independent - I used to have a problem with being alone, and sometimes I still feel weird just sitting by myself, hah, but I'm learning and I've come a long way
5. Keep an open heart - stay open-minded!
6. Cut myself some slack - I've been going through a HUGE transition period and I can't be perfect or hold it together all of the time
7. Do what I love
8. Remember that life is short - have some fun :)
9. Don't take things personally - chances are that people act the way they do because they are dealing with things in their own life, not because they want to take it out on you. Some people are just unhappy due to their own decisions...
10. Embrace change

3 comments: