Wednesday, January 5, 2011

bloglovin

     On my first night back at school, I made loaded potato soup - quite an ambitious plan I had considering I didn't get back until around 5 and had to unpack all of my stuff. I somehow pulled it together and made the soup in about a 25 minutes - and it turned out pretty good. When I first ate it though, I wasn't sure how I felt, but I just had it again for dinner tonight and adding a little sour cream and some spices gave it a lot more flavor. Then again, I always put an unhealthy amount of salt on things - my boyfriend had the soup and he liked it a lot without any salt or spices added. Next time I'd probably add a little garlic but I'll definitely make it again because its relatively easy and quick. 

Loaded Potato Soup

4 (6 oz.) red potatoes
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 cup pre-chopped onion
1 1/4 cups fat-free chicken broth
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups milk, divided
1/4 cup sour cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 bacon slices
1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
4 teaspoons thinly sliced green onions

Pierce potatoes with a fork. Microwave on high 13 or until tender. Cut in half; cool slightly. While potatoes cook, heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, saute 3 minutes. Add broth. Combine flour and 1/2 cup milk; add to pan with 1 1/2 cups milk. Bring to a boil; stir often. Cook one minute. Remove from heat; stir in sour cream, salt and pepper. Cook bacon (I used pre-cooked that I just had to put in the microwave). Crumble. Discard potato skins and coarsely mash potatoes into soup. Top with cheese, green onions, and bacon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment