Saturday, June 5, 2010

Healthy Hair

     After doing some researching a few months back about how to keep my hair healthy while growing it long, I came across a horrifying fact (exaggerated, yes....but not to someone who loves their hair!): most shampoos available in stores contain ingredients that can be incredibly harmful to both your hair and your overall health. Check out this article about the specific ingredients and how they're harmful. 
     Regardless of whether you spend hours doing your hair every day (shout out to my mom! haha...just kidding), I don't know anyone who would want to put anything on their head that has the same main ingredient as antifreeze. I highlight my hair and since I've switched from Garnier Fructis to Tigi Catwalk Fashionista shampoo/conditioner my highlights don't fade as quickly and my hair just feels healthier overall. I can't speak for other hair colors, but a shampoo with a purple base (like the Fashionista shampoo) is best for blonde hair so that it doesn't turn brassy, especially if you have hard water. Even though switching shampoos and finding the right one is slightly annoying, you don't necessarily have to pay a lot more -- Burt's Bee's makes an all-natural Super Shiny Grapefruit and Sugar Beet shampoo  that sells for $7.97 at Walmart. 
     Also, don't ever brush wet hair with brush, make sure to use a wide-tooth comb! This has helped me a TON with breakage and don't forget to deep condition.

No comments:

Post a Comment