Friday, August 13, 2010

"To change one’s life: Start immediately. Do it flamboyantly. No exceptions."

     In the past, writing a post like this was a little more personal than I wanted to go, but lately I've been thinking about a lot of things and I might as well just go for it. Long story short: For the first 6 months, 2010 was not my year. I had my share of setbacks and struggles. But I decided that it's no one else's job to make me happy besides my own, so I better get working. As Mary Wilder once said, "Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" 
    Things have changed for me, and that's okay. I'm not the same person that I was last year, last month, or last week even. But I'm alright with that. I'm young, I'm free and I'm learning who I am. If I don't have fun and experience new things now then I'll make excuses and never get around to it. I guess the point of this post is that I'm working on my own happiness and even if this affects no one besides myself, it made me happier so that's all that matters. 

Things that have made me happy:


Yoga. I've become nearly obsessed with it and it's all I think about all day. I've never felt as healthy and as strong as I do right now. I wake up and I can't wait to go to class because I love how calm I feel when I leave. 

Riding my bike! One of the best purchases I've made in a while... Its so cathartic to just ride around for a while and feel like a kid again.

Being spontaneous. I've been trying to go with my gut feeling - it's incredibly hard at first. But then I say to myself, "If I want to go to ___ then just do it! You only have one life" or "Eat that fifth cookie! You've already had four, what is one more going to hurt?" Haha...but seriously, I just said that to myself yesterday.





Traveling. The highlight of my summer was visiting my friend, Jordan, in New York City. Since then I've been so happy.


Reading. I have a list a mile long of books I want to read and it's nice to finally start to make a dent in it, instead of reading textbooks every day. 

My wonderful friends. Thank you so much to everyone who has listened to me ramble, cry, and laugh. I owe you all and I appreciate you more than you know!




[subject quote by William James/all images via weheartit unless otherwise stated]

5 comments:

  1. great post, im happy to hear you have found a balance in life. I hope to have that soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing to stumble across and read something so similar to what you're feeling, and this post did it for me! It's amazing that you can take a step back and decide to live-- really live. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's the first time I visit your blog and don't know if I'd bother you but you do well on thinking about your own happiness.
    I'm thinking about starting yoga in autumn too but I'm afraid I'm too lazy to continue with it. At least I'll try. :)
    Loved this list.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. jill jill jill you make me smile

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reading this post makes me think of my own life and how different I've become. I can completely relate to the line, "I'm not the same person that I was last year, last month, or last week even."

    Maybe this year at school, we can try this journey you're on together. I would love to get into yoga at school and I'll have a car there, so we could go on miniature vacations.. like to an apple orchard or a play. Plus, I love spending time with you!

    ReplyDelete