Wednesday, December 22, 2010

bloglovin



     The best part about the holidays is the food, hands down. Lucky for me, I've taken advantage of all of the great food since around Halloween (when the famous pumpkin cheesecake was first discovered) and I haven't stopped since. I'll be paying for my excessive eating come January, but until then I plan to stuff my face and enjoy every minute of it. What better way to begin my break from school than to make Christmas cookies? My mom made these a few years back for one of her annual Christmas cookie parties (shout out to my mom!) and I'd been hoping she'd make them again, but when she didn't, I decided to take it into my own hands. After using granulated sugar instead of confectioners' sugar (seriously, how many times have I made frosting? A LOT. Major rookie mistake.) I finally got them to turn out, with the exception of me being lazy and not poking the second half of them with a fork before putting them in the oven. They were still delicious, only now a few had air bubbles. Once again, they were a  big hit with my family - they were gone the next night! - but the only thing I have to warn you about is that they are REALLY small. Almost too small. Meaning you're going to want to eat twice as many as you normally would. But then again, that might not be a bad thing.

The recipe follows! It definitely didn't yield 4 dozen like the recipe said, but it still made a good amount.


Christmas Cookie Sandwiches


Cookies:
1 cup butter (no substitutes!), softened
1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
2 cups all-purpose flour
Sugar

Filling:
1/2 cup butter (no substitutes!), softened
1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Food coloring

In a mixing bowl, combine butter, cream, and flour; mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until dough is easy to handle. Divide into thirds; let one portion stand at room temperature for 15 minutes (keep remaining dough refrigerated until ready to roll out). On a floured surface, roll out dough into 1/8 inch thickness. Cut with a 1-1/2 inch round cookie cutter. Place cutouts in a shallow dish filled with sugar; turn to coat. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Prick with a fork several times. Bake at 375 degrees for 7-9 minutes or until set. Cool on wire racks. For filling, in a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add vanilla. Tint with food coloring. Spread about 1 teaspoon of filling over half of the cookies; top with remaining cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment